This is my favorite salad recipe. We originally got it from Standolyn Robertson, Jamie Robertson’s wife. She served it at a dinner that was memorable because it was the night, twenty years ago, that a micro burst blew down our screen room. It was originally a recipe for Thai Papaya Shrimp Salad, so as you can see, it’s gone through a few revisions since we got it!
- 6-8 ounces rare filet mignon, chilled, cut into thin strips
- 5-8 ounces of spinach
- 8 ounces diced cantaloupe
- ½ hothouse cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 handful of cilantro, minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon vietnamese hot sauce
- 1 green onion, finely minced
Mix dressing ingredients in a cruet, shake. Toss salad ingredients with most of dressing, layer beef on top, and drizzle remaining dressing over the top. Add some cracked pepper and serve.
Serves 2 as an entree, 4 as a side